Monday, August 27, 2012

Zim's First Off-Leash Experience

This was entirely an accident. I really don't know how it happened but somehow when I went to unhook Zim's harness from the car and hook his leash to it, I missed. So he hops out of the car with the leash clip lying on top of him rather than attached to him.

At first we didn't notice. Zim stuck close to Fathead, who had the leash in hand. Then I saw that the leash was just hanging and Zim was totally free. I told Fathead, who tried to grab the dog to leash him. Zim skittered away, seemingly thinking, "what the Hell is this?"Having evaded Fathead's reach, he begins his calm stroll straight to the front door. We follow him, calmly, and as he's just reaching the door, Fathead grabs his harness and leashes him. I then come and unlock the door.

So, really, Zim did surprisingly well with this. Mind you, no rabbits came skittering by and Zim was tired from his day at doggy daycare and probably just wanted to go take a nap, but still, he was very well behaved. I'm glad that was the case. It makes me a little bit less scared of him getting lose.

Mind you, that's only a little. His recall is still selective and he's still very much a dog who will choose to run up to another dog or chase a squirrel rather than come when called. This does not mean that Zim will become an off-leash dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment