Sunday, August 19, 2012

Keeping Puppy Safe In the Car

So, I was bopping around the internet trying to figure out if there is an even better way of keeping puppy from coughing when he decides to pull on his leash since he has a delicate throat (possibly the result of collapsing trachea but the vet says that since he shows no other symptoms and he's otherwise really healthy, not to worry about it for now), and I ended up finding this:

http://centerforpetsafety.org/research/

It's the test results for a number of car harnesses, all of which fail catestrophically---and I'm pretty sure Zim's harness was tested. The company, Kurgo, claims that they've done some more tests on their products and their's should not fail, but I'm honestly not so sure given that it really does look to me like their product was one that was tested and failed. It's not that I'm questioning their dedication to make a safe product---I think they are really trying to make one---but I think it's like the link I posted above states, there are no standards. Even though manufacturers try, it's really hard for them to make something that's actually safe because there are no standards for them to use to make sure they're safe. They have to make them up.

So now the question is, what do we do to keep puppy safe in the car? He's really well behaved in the car, so making sure he's tied down so he doesn't bother us isn't the issue. The issue is that I don't want my dog killed in a wreck. I want something that keeps him safe. I just don't know what that is anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment